We have all experienced the ups and downs of life; its what being alive is all about. There are a complex range of emotions which are available for us to experience in any given moment, and the exciting bit is…..we get to choose!
Like most of you I can recall moments of sheer happiness and bliss, but I also remember the pain of those heavy and dark emotions, like grief, sadness, anger, resentment and not feeling like I was enough.
I know that through all of the things I have faced, I have learnt stacks about life and about myself, and without doubt it has made me the person I am today. I know that everything has happened ‘for’ me, but it doesn’t stop it being hard at times. There are also a few problems with these heavier and darker emotions:
- They make us feel horrid emotionally and physically – the emotional bowel is becoming more and more common. It is no great surprise to me that so many people have IBS and Digestive Health issues
- We’re so ‘up in our heads’ with it all, that there doesn’t seem to be an escape. Even our dreams are no longer a respite from the world
- Talking about how we feel is not always seen as socially acceptable. People expect you to be coping, thriving and happy all the time and lets be honest, some people just can’t deal with someone being down! This means that you often wear a lovely mask, but behind it you feel like you are sinking and there is no one there to save you
- They can leave us feeling isolated, because even our close friends and family don’t know what to say or how to help. They give advice based on their own perception of the world and this is not always helpful, because they are passing onto you their own stories, fears and beliefs
- We have no idea how to move beyond these emotions. We know we want to feel joyful, happy and light again, but we are unsure what to do next or how to even let go of the past
The key is being able to move beyond the struggle of those darker and heavier emotions and change the things that you have control over…. like the present moment and your future!
What has been before can’t be changed – unless of course you have a magic time machine – which would be really cool!.
But, what you can change and what you can control, is your response to the past!
We let so many old beliefs and stories affect us in the present moment and it is such a waste. Do you ever hear yourself or others say things such as ‘people in my family have never had much money’, or ‘no one I know has a happy relationship’, perhaps even ‘my family are all overweight’…. These are stories, which people can use as excuses for staying stuck, avoiding change or taking responsibility.
Do you really want to let your stories define who you are and what your future will look like? I don’t know about you, but this thought makes me feel totally dis-empowered. One of the biggest turning points of my life was realising that some of the beliefs I was choosing to carry around were not even mine! They came from my parents and my childhood and it was so reinforced over time, that I assumed all the beliefs and stories must be true!
The light bulb moment was freeing, but also a little scary. If those beliefs are not mine, then what do I really believe? Who am I now? It was a whole process of self-discovery, which was both liberating and terrifying.
I turned to books, self-development, spirituality, healing and like-minded friends to help me clear out my mind, but I always wished that there had of been a teacher or mentor to help me through all this.
If you would like some support with some of the emotions that you are dealing with and you know that you need to leave the past where it belongs…..firmly in the past! Then check out how you can work with me here.
I really hope you give yourself this opportunity, because until you tackle the past, you will never have the future you really desire and deserve.
Until next time!
Helping you banish negativity, self-doubt & self-sabotage forever – it’s time to believe in yourself, take action and create the life you deserve.
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Pinterest